Terry McDermott Community Leadership Award
The Terry McDermott Community Leadership Award recognizes a REALTOR® association that is engaged in community service efforts that may be unique or go above what is expected. The award nomination process will serve as a tool to help capture all that REALTOR® associations and members do to serve the communities in which they live and work. It will also offer a means to highlight and share how other associations can follow their lead and be inspired to do amazing things in their communities.
This is not an annual award. An award will be bestowed only when an association applicant in a given year exhibits an unsurpassed commitment to community. The association who receives this award also receives a $1,000 donation to help further its community outreach efforts.
Who Is Terry McDermott?
Terry McDermott served as executive vice president of the National Association of REALTORS® from 1998–2005.
Local and state REALTOR® associations are eligible to receive this award.
- Leadership - The association’s chosen program/project motivates and inspires other organizations to accomplish a specific goal or objective. This includes a clear, sharable plan to execute the program/project, as well as how the association seized on unique opportunities to benefit others that had not been pursued prior.
- Initiative - Demonstrates a keen sense of the community’s needs, and uses that to drive the program/project development. Takes into account how the program/project can draw others towards it to attract volunteers and offer a meaningful volunteer experience.
- Creativity - Develops/proposes creative ways to accomplish the goals and objectives of the project and to creatively involve volunteers in all aspects of the program/project.
- Resources - Uses the financial and staff resources at their disposal – regardless of how small or how large – to create a program/project that has the maximum community impact.
- Recognition - Recognized by other REALTOR® associations and community organizations for its commitment to the success of the initiative.
Nominations for 2022 are closed. The 2023 nomination process will open in June 2023.
Local and state association members, leaders, and staff, may nominate their association or another association for this award. The recipient of this award receives a $1,000 donation to help further the association’s community outreach efforts.
Selection shall be made by the AEC/Recommendations and Recognition Advisory Board in July and the recipient will be honored at the NAR NXT meetings in November.