PJ & Company offers its “Checklist for Success” as a guide to get a home in move-in-ready condition and attract more attention from home buyers. Try these basic, budget-friendly steps.
Make basic interior and exterior repairs and updates.
- Is everything in working condition? Repair and replace broken bulbs, switches, ceiling fans, door knobs, leaky faucets, loose railings, and steps.
- Touch up any obvious cosmetic damage, such as holes or dents in the walls, peeling paint, water damage, or cracked windows and tiles.
- Switch out dated light fixtures and hardware in the entryway, kitchen, and bathrooms with more contemporary styles for an instant boost.
- Consider replacing older, less-efficient kitchen appliances with sleek, eco-friendly models to appeal to buyers.
Clean and declutter.
- Stow away personal photos, collections, and knick-knacks that could distract buyers from seeing the property’s best features.
- Remove unnecessary, dated, and larger furniture pieces that make a room feel dark and cramped.
- Hire a professional cleaning service to make the home shine and smell fresh, which is especially important if pets are present.
Refresh and brighten.
- Remove dated wallpaper and freshen walls with neutral paint so unique home features stand out.
- Remove dark and heavy curtains to let more natural light in and spotlight the windows.
- Remove and/or replace soiled carpeting, and polish dull and worn floors to make the room sparkle.
- Consider spraying older kitchen cabinets or dark wood vanities with bright white paint, and add updated hardware for an instant facelift.
Create a “wow” factor with inviting, modern styling.
- Return rooms to their original purpose to match buyers’ needs (i.e. style an upstairs office or extra storage room with a bed, night stand, and small desk).
- Use strategic furniture arrangements to improve flow and increase the perceived size of spaces.
- Pair furniture with on-trend, modern accents that help buyers emotionally connect, such as shag or woven rugs, colorful wall art, pillows, and bright white bedding.
Partner with a pro.
Consult with a professional home stager who will have an objective eye and knowledge of what appeals to today’s sophisticated buyers. The stager can provide a range of solutions for enhancing your home showings by recommending furniture placement, wall color, and complementary modern accessories for achieving a clean, welcoming style.
Subscribe to receive weekly home staging tips and design trends delivered directly to your inbox from the Styled, Staged & Sold blog.