Data Privacy & Security
Technology has dramatically increased the amount of consumer data collected and used by businesses. Several recent high profile data breaches, coupled with increasing rates of identity theft, has made data security and consumer privacy a hot issue for policymakers in Washington.
REALTORS® strongly support efforts to protect consumers' sensitive personal information. The REALTOR® code of Ethics and Standards of Practice explicitly acknowledge a REALTOR's® obligation to preserve the confidentiality of personal information provided by clients in the course of any agency or non-agency relationship—both during and after the termination of these business relationships. REALTORS® support for data protection measures is also bolstered by their day-to-day business activities where they see first-hand the damage that identity theft can do to a family's ability to rent an apartment or buy a home. This webpage will provide REALTORS® with current information on policy efforts underway in Washington to regulate data security and consumer privacy.
Latest on this topic
CyberSecurity: What You Need to Know
Your NAR Member Benefits
Other REALTOR Benefits® Program Offers
Partners in the Risk Management category:
- American Home Shield
REALTORS® receive exclusive savings on select home warranty plans from the founder and leader of the home warranty industry.
- Victor Insurance Managers
Protect yourself from potential liability with Errors and Omissions insurance, including premium credits available just for REALTORS®
Visit the REALTOR Benefits® Program partner page for a full list of the companies with which NAR has partnered to provide value-added offers and significant savings on products and services you use in your business and personal life.
From REALTOR® & REALTOR® AE Magazine
- Avoid Cyber Liability (March, 2020)
- REALTOR® Associations Hacked (May, 2019)
- Smart-Home Tech Brings New Cyber Risks (March, 2018)
- Tips for Staying Cyber Secure on National Computer Safety Day (November, 2017)
- NAR Supports SBA Cyber Security Bill
- Internet Data Exchange (IDX)
- Cyber and Fidelity Insurance Report for Real Estate Brokers
- Alert: Wire Fraudsters Targeting Real Estate Transactions
- Urgent Alert: Sophisticated Email Scams Targeting the Real Estate Industry
- Mortgage Closing Scam Client Advisory Brochure (REALTOR® Store)