Highlights from the NAR Member Profile
Based on a random sampling of membership of the National Association of REALTORS®, the annual Member Profile strives to answer the question: Who are REALTORS®?
This report examines:
- 67% of REALTORS® were licensed sales agents
- 21% held broker licenses
- 14% held broker associate licenses
- The typical REALTOR® had 8 years of experience, the same as last year.
- 79% of REALTORS® were very certain they will remain active as a real estate professional for the next two years.
- At 57%, lack of inventory remains the most important factor limiting potential clients from making a purchase.
- Most REALTORS® worked 35 hours per week in 2021, the same as last year.
- The typical REALTOR® earned 16% of their business from repeat clients and customers, and 20% through referrals from past clients and customers.
- The typical property manager managed 41 properties in 2021, slightly up from 39 properties in 2020.
- In 2020, 36% of REALTORS® were compensated under a fixed commission split (under 100%), 20% with a graduated commission split (increases with productivity), and 18% with a capped commission split (rises to 100% after a predetermined threshold).
- REALTORS® with 16 years or more experience had a median gross income of $85,000—up from $75,000 in 2020—compared to REALTORS® with 2 years or less experience that had a median gross income of $8,800—an increase from $8,500 in 2020.
- The largest expense category for most REALTORS® was vehicle expenses, which was $1,460.
- 54% of REALTORS® are affiliated with an independent company.
- 87% of members are independent contractors at their firms.
- The median tenure for REALTORS® with their current firm was five years, the same as last year.
- 31% of REALTORS® worked for a firm that was bought or merged in the past two years.
- 96% of REALTORS® reported using a smartphone nearly every day.
- 68% of REALTORS® reported having a website for business use.
- For professional use, REALTORS® were typically most active on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- REALTORS® most often communicate with clients via text messaging (94%), telephone (92%), and email (90%).